Friday, December 14, 2012

What I learned from this course

     I have learned a lot in these past few months. This is the longest that I have been away from my small town where I have lived since I was seven. The town that I am from, Georgetown, is a very small close knit town. The population is mainly Caucasians, which has kept me from experiencing and interacting with people of different cultures. Once I moved up to the Sault I was given the opportunity to interact with different people, with different backgrounds, from different places. Being in the social work program in the north has especially helped me out with broadening my horizons and opening my mind to new people and things.
     The one thing that I felt was the best learning tool were these blogs. Having to blog about different social issues really allowed me to take the time to research more about what is going on in our world today, especially behind closed doors. Being in the LGBTTQ group really taught me a lot because I learned about so many issues facing this community that I never even knew existed. Not only did I learn about this community but I learned about other communities and their issues in society today. Having to comment on other blogs forced me to read about the issues facing other communities which taught me a lot that I never knew was going on.
     Being in this program in the north has given me so many more opportunities then I would have had in a program at a school back South. I have been able to learn much more about the First Nations communities then I would back home. I am excited to further my learning about these communities in the next few months.
     I want to thank my classmates for informing me on such much that I did not know through these blogs and group presentations. I also want to thank Professor Straka for teaching us through lectures about the history of social work and the history of the First Nations communities. Not only did she teach us about that but she taught us other skills that would be useful in our lives, like how to research and find good scholarly resources. It was all very beneficial and I am happy and so much more knowledgeable then I was a few months ago.

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment