Sunday, December 9, 2012

Self Reflection of being part of the LGBT group!


I chose to be part of the LGBT group because I took an LGBT course at Sault College in my Child and Youth Worker Program that was developed and taught by one of my professors and have become extremely interested in gaining further knowledge. I came into the program with some education of the LGBT community, but was eager to learn more. Throughout this semester in SWRK1006 I have gained more knowledge about the LGBT community. During the course I have definitely become more educated and more aware of the LGBT community. Some of the things I was able to get the opportunity to learn new about, was their struggles, and the issues they currently face on a day to day basis, as well as laws and regulations.
 
My group was presenting our PowerPoint and as it played out, I was aware of a few things that should have been done differently to make the class a safer place. After the presentation was over I began self-reflecting not only about how the presentation went, but if the information I presented was appropriate and non-offending to everyone. I went into this thinking more about what information was best to put in my presentation, rather then also thinking about how I should present my presentation. One thing I made sure of was that the use of language was professional and very appropriate, but there were other things I should have been more aware of, but wasn’t. There would be many things that I would change if I were able to present this again.

First off, I should have stated right off the bat that I am a straight ally, and that in itself is challenging. I would have stated that I am also learning about the LGBT community and I am in no way educated in that area. And I also would have stated that I do not mean to offend or hurt anyone. I should have presented the questionnaire we designed in a different way as well. It was a Heterosexual questionnaire that we presented to the class and that we presented it in a way that we assumed we were a class of only heterosexual persons. I should have stated that I am not being presumptuous that anyone does or does not identify as gay or straight but just to realize that people who don’t identity as straight are faced with these questions on a daily basis and to see how awkward and uncomfortable it can make you feel. People who identify as straight aren’t bombarded with these questions. It was just supposed to open up the mind and allow you to look outside of the male and female.

Overall, this has been a very positive learning experience for me. I was self-aware. I knew that I needed to self-reflect about this situation, because I would never want to hurt someone, when I am really trying to be an advocate for them. It will also make me think outside of the box when preparing for any kind of presentation and making sure that I am making the room a safe place for everyone. I will continue to make sure that I am presenting statements at the beginning letting everyone know where I stand, my knowledge and my intentions, so that boundaries aren’t crossed. I have also learned so much from my group, our combined learning, our different views, and coming together on this presentation. From my group I have learned about Gay Marriage, sex-reassignment surgery, Blood donations and gay men, as well as the bathroom bill and much more. I was able to learn new information from their posts, and hope that they have learned new information from mine.

I enjoyed the opportunity to also read the blogs that my classmates have done. It gave me a chance to get to know them as well as learn about what they are passionate about. I also learned alot of new information from reading each of the other groups blogs and have learned things I would not have known about otherwise. I really liked how it was a different way of learning; it gave us a chance to also express ourselves in a way we may not always get to. I enjoyed that we finished the class off with all of the group presentations; I really feel that this is where all the class information, learning, and teachings came together. The presentation portion of the course is where I actually learned the most valuable lessons in the class.

Bonus Blog

Alysha

1 comment:

  1. In the event that you get nervous while being around other individuals, you are ought to seek help from professional psychologist in Bhopal.
    psychiatrist in bhopal
    psychologist in bhopal
    Depression treatment in Bhopal
    OCD treatment in Bhopal

    ReplyDelete