Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Reflection



Throughout this course I have learned a lot about the LGBT community and a lot about myself.  I came into the course advocating for the LGBT community.  My Child and Youth Worker class at Sault College put on an event that raised money for a much needed LGBT youth group in Sault Ste. Marie.  After creating this group and going through the struggles of getting donations and community supports I felt I could really empathize and truly understand some of the struggles that the LGBT community go through.  I have learned through this course with the blogs and mainly the presentation that I am very far off from truly knowing.

The youth group that we help raise money for is run by HARP (HIV AIDS Resource Program).  My class raised over $6000.00 for the group.  Although this was not easy, there were several people who usually would have supported that no longer did and we got several doors closed in our faces.  Some people flat out told us that they would not support the cause, while others (regular supporters) just never called back.  This just made my class want to try harder and proved how necessary this group is to help these young people.

After struggling through getting donations and acceptance I felt as if I understand some of what the LGBT community goes through.  I was rudely awakened when I was writing these blogs and through my presentation.  People who identify as LGBT have far more struggles then I could have imagined, struggles that I would have never thought about, struggles that I had not had to think about.  Small things to me that I would never have to question, like acceptance from my family can be a struggle of someone from the LGBT community. Blood donation is another how on earth can someone say no to blood, it could save lives!  Being discriminated against in boy scouts is another, I could have never dreamed about being told no if I were in girl guides because of my sexual orientation. These are things that I have never had to worry about and I have become more grateful for that.  I have become more aware, but will never call myself an expert.

I do not consider myself part of the LGBT community; I do consider myself an ally.  This is something that I should have disclosed at the beginning of my presentation.  I should have made it aware that I am still learning and this is what I had learned so far.  I have also learned that when speaking about this sensitive topic there needs to be caution used around the language.   One slip of the tongue could offend many people even if it was not intentional.  I have learned so much about the rights of the LGBT community and how we need to keep fighting for them.  As a Social Worker it is important to learn from the mistakes you have made and understand yourself before you can attempt to help someone else.  I feel I have achieved this throughout this course, although I am not done learning, I have learned so much in order to advocate for the LGBT community.

-Britney

No comments:

Post a Comment